Like fishing? Yes. Like kayaking? Yes. Ever combined the two? Both fishing and kayaking are relaxing yet active ways to enjoy the outdoors. To do both requires a bit of skill and know how, but once conquered, may quickly become your new favorite sport. Here are some tips when it comes to saltwater kayak fishing:
1) The first tip and possibly the most important one is to invest in a worthwhile paddle. The paddle is what propels you and a good one will allow smooth ease of use. Going with a poor quality paddle can cause premature fatigue or blisters. Choose the proper paddle for your height and weight. Those who are taller may require a longer paddle to balance out whereas those who are shorter may prefer a smaller one. Also, be sure to choose lightweight, quality materials like fiber-glass reinforced nylon as opposed to resin or propylene.
2) Another important tip when it comes to saltwater kayak fishing is to make sure that you have an adequate tracking system. This not only prevents you from possibly getting lost but also helps you to mark your successful secret spots. It can be easy to lose track of your surroundings on open water when you are so close to the waterline. Be sure your tracking system is waterproof, clear and easily readable and has a mounting option. Don't forget the extra set of batteries too.
3) The next step is to make sure that you are protected from the sun and elements. Protective sun shirts and sunscreen are a must, along with sunglasses and a hat. The water is highly reflective and if you plan on being out for an extended period of time, can lose track of time and potential damage from the sun. It is best to cover up so that you don't need to think about constantly reapplying sunscreen. It may be a good idea to have some rain gear along, just in case, as well.
4) Another important tip when it comes to saltwater kayak fishing is to ensure that you have proper fish handling gear. It is recommended that you take the proper net, line cutters, gloves, stringer and pliers. Since there is limited range of movement, having all of the necessary equipment right in front of you will up your chances of securing your catch.
5) Another very important thing to have in mind is to make sure that you have safety gear. It is important that you have life vests, and in some states it is even required that you have these on at all times. It is also important that you have a radio if you are going offshore. Having whistles, gloves, a fishing rod leash, a paddle leash and a headlamp are necessary for you to stay safe out there as well. Accidents are prone to happen, and it Is always important to be as prepared as possible.
Overall, this should be a fun experience for you, and it can be something very exciting. As long as you take the tips above into account, you will be guaranteed to have a good time on your next salt water kayak fishing excursion.
Comments will be approved before showing up.